They seem to be everywhere: "24 HOUR EMERGENCY LOCKSMITH"
They're on storefront doors, gates, padlocks, even on the
varnished doors of private homes.
This has been a problem for many years. Recently, several
owners have joined forces to convince authorities that they will no
stand by while their properties are vandalized on a weekly basis.
Here are just some of the comments made by irate victims:
- "... trying to get those damn stickers to
- "The neighboring building is putting
(very expensive) doors on. They aren’t even finished
them and they had stickers on them. The neighbors were pretty
- "Every New Yorker is aware of this insidious locksmith
-- it's scarring effect is evident on doors on nearly every single
- "These drive me crazy too."
- "...how do we enforce the law against
- "What is the best way to go about
properly protected against this annoying and destructive menace?
- "The problem now remains about
and publicizing the issue such that the public is aware that this
is not legal and not something which -- as many have obviously assumed
-- that they simply must put up with."
- "...the sooner these offending
pool of offenders is a relatively small group) become aware that the
of these stickers on doors is illegal, the sooner they will cease the
- "My feeling is that they have done so much damage to private
penalties should be severe.
- "...be prosecuted to the full extent
an example of them)."
- "...should be required to clean off
in the city..."
- "...it is an extremely annoying, ineffectual method of
- "...they must be stopped!"
- "...they have caused damage,
- "Our neighborhood seems to be infested by the 2770 guy.. I
them almost every 4 to 5 days..."
- "I cannot protect my own private
- "I am so tired of New York locksmiths
with their phone numbers on my door and intercom. One locksmith in
named Nir Rasty (or is it Rasty Nir?) 212 353-1420 has plastered his
round sticker on my door so many times it is a dirty mess. He does this
all up and down the block on everyones door. I have even called
asking him not to stick them on my door and he doesn't stop. I wish you
would tell your fellow locksmiths that defacing apartment buildings
their sticky calling cards is not a good way to build business..."
- "What would make someone think they
up to someone's house and slap a sticker on their doors...?
- "...what would make the homeowner
after spending some time and energy cleaning the goo off the door?
- "...take the bastard to small claims
cost of the damage."